Support for Members in Need -- Caregivers Support Information
Partnership of Clergy and Caring Community Volunteer Support
Contact: Chime Costello, Rabbis’ Assistant
The Rabbis and Cantors want to know when your family or loved ones experience illness or death so that they can support you in your times of need. Contact Chime Costello by phone or email with all relevant information and where you can be reached. Please remember that the clergy cannot support you if they do not know about your situation, so please do call and let us know.
Contact: Gloria Kaiz, Volunteer Intake Worker
Gloria coordinates a multitude of support services that BJBE provides. The list of support services are as follows:
- Bikur Cholim (visits for the sick): Dale Busch, 847-780-4649, firstname.lastname@example.org & Susan Feldman, email@example.com
A trained volunteer will visit a member whose body, mind or spirit needs a lift. Visits can be made to a home, rehab center, nursing home, etc.
- Caregiver Support: Beth Kon, 847-965-1184, firstname.lastname@example.org & Mira Neumann, 847-715-9721, email@example.com
Activities that support adult members who are providing care for adults with chronic conditions.
- Medical Lending Closet: Sandra Leon, 847-564-4951, firstname.lastname@example.org
Sisterhood maintains a list of medical supplies available for loan within the congregation.
- Phone Buddies: Dolly DeCaro, email@example.com
A volunteer will call when a member is in need of phone support or a phone buddy.
- Prepared Meals: Julie Orloff, 847-236-0225, firstname.lastname@example.org & Alice Schindel, 847-433-0110, email@example.com
A volunteer will deliver a meal when we learn that a member is in need.
- Soup for the Soul: Susan Splansky, 847-955-0453, firstname.lastname@example.org
A container of homemade chicken or vegetable soup is delivered to lift the spirits of any member in need.
- Transportation Assistance: Dolly DeCaro, 847-296-5902, email@example.com
A volunteer will arrange for transportation when a member needs either a ride to/from Temple or to/from medical appointments.
- Virtual Food Pantry: Chime Costello, 847-940-7575, firstname.lastname@example.org This is handled confidentially by the clergy only.
In emergency situations when a member has no other source of obtaining food, short term food assistance can be provided.
- Zip Code Coordinator: Hedy Nuriel, 847-509-9050, email@example.com Manages requests for volunteers by zip code for meal and ride support.
JCARES Partnership for Safer Synagogues
Contact: BJBE Clergy
BJBE is certified as a Safer Synagogue by Jewish Community Abuse Resources, Education & Solutions (JCARES), a coalition dedicated to addressing abuse across the Jewish community and perpetuating healthy, peaceful, Jewish homes, families and relationships. Our leadership has been trained in understanding the impact of abuse across the lifespan and improving access to support for congregants experiencing abusive situations. For more information, please contact the clergy or the temple office at 847-940-7575.
Contact: Laura Passmore, Safer Synagogue Initiative Volunteer Coordinator
Our volunteers have been trained to respect confidentiality.
Contact: Margot Andersen, Bereavement Coordinator
Bereavement Support Services include the following:
- Bereavement Bag Project – Debby Dubow, 847-831-3922, firstname.lastname@example.org
During the High Holy Days, a bereavement memorial bag is delivered to all members who have lost a loved one during the past year.
- Grief Support Phone Calls – Margot Andersen, 847-272-7765, email@example.com
Volunteers will call newly bereaved family members within the first few months of a loss. If a member is struggling with a grief or loss feel free to call Margot Andersen.
- Shiva Assistance – Marla Craven, 847-867-8481, firstname.lastname@example.org
Shiva assistance can be provided when there is no relative, friend or family member able to assume this role.
- Volunteer Shiva Minyan Corps – Irwin Goldfine, 847-724-1850, email@example.com
By leading shiva minyan for BJBE families at the request of the clergy, the Volunteer Shiva Minyan Corps provides needed comfort and spiritual leadership to our members in their times of greatest need. If you are interested in becoming a volunteer shiva minyan leader, please contact Irwin Goldfine. If you would like a shiva minyan at your home, please notify the clergy and they will arrange for a volunteer leader when needed.
Gift for New Parents and Grandparents
A gift and note are sent out when a member has a new child or grandchild.
Caring Note Cards
Contact: Jeanie Pearlman
A personal note is sent when a member has a life event that warrants support or celebration.
High Holy Day Calls
Contact: Gail Ostach
As the High Holy Days approach volunteers will call every member of the congregation to wish them well.
Caregiver Support Initiative Program Series:
In partnership with the Council for the Jewish Elderly (CJE) SeniorLife, BJBE will present a series of three programs designed to assist those adult members of our congregation who are providing care for adults with chronic conditions.
BJBE Bulletin Articles
Contact: Jill Jacobs
There is a section in the BJBE monthly Bulletin, An Evolving Caring Community. These monthly articles feature the support services the BJBE Caring Community provides our members.